Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Knitting machines and the colour purple

I donated one of my knitting machines (I had two) to kwartzlab last night, about an hour after I learned how to use it. I managed to make this


in the span of a song. Well it was kind of a long song, but still! Since there is no sense of scale to this picture, the piece is about a foot long and maybe 6 inches wide. Though I'm estimating after the fact and could be horribly wrong.
Knitting machines are amazingly efficient! I was almost sad to give it away, but I know that the kwartzlabers will make good use of it. They are excited to make their own yarnbombs!

This is the promised purple tag for the nice lady from a couple nights ago. It's kind of hard to see because of the dark on dark and my poor photography skills.


When I was photographing it (after it was up), a teenage girl asked me how they put those up. I explained that they were mostly sewn up and sometimes zip-tied, and she proceeded to tell her boyfriend (?) that 'some woman is putting these up all over the place.... it's SO WEIRD!!!!' - completely unaware that it was me. It was all I could do to not burst out laughing until they were out of earshot. I guess not everyone likes them.

While I was putting this one up, the dude working at the LCBO ran across the street in his apron to question me. As if I'd disappear if he stopped to take his apron off. It was kind of funny. And then a woman told me that her daughter thought that they magically appeared at night, as if placed by pixies. That was nice. I sort of don't want her to disappoint her daughter, because unfortunately I am not a pixie. Maybe I should get/make some pixie wings and wear them when yarnbombing? I like this idea!


I just learned how to crochet butterflies, and now I want to put them everywhere... So happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment